Gett is an international app firm that allows users to instantly book a licensed Black Cab. The Wee Agency was appointed by Gett, formerly known as GetTaxi, to develop a PR and marketing strategy aimed at consumers in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester to encourage them to download the Gett app. Gett also briefed The Wee Agency to support them with driver recruitment in each of these cities.
The team at The Wee Agency spent a lot of time in taxis, talking to taxi drivers to understand barriers to switching to apps and to identify any potential misconceptions. Two of the biggest barriers and misconceptions were that becoming a Gett driver meant that you had to work for Gett exclusively and that taxi apps were synonymous with mini cabs rather than licensed black cabs. Communication from Gett to taxi drivers were developed to tackle these misconceptions.
Communications to media focused on a new taxi service for the city and an introductory £5 first time ride (FTR) promotion. Media relations was combined with an influencer campaign where online influencers, including lifestyle and food bloggers, were incentivised with promotions and collaboration ideas. For example, Edinburgh Foody was partnered with to offer a competition prize with Jamie’s Italian. Bloggers were also offered free or discounted taxi rides that could be increased if more people used their personalised code.
Itison deals were also negotiated to push first time rides across Edinburgh and Glasgow. Speaking opportunities with high profile organisations such as Entrepreneurial Spark, HOT 500 and Pitch to Rich were secured to ensure further first time rides were acquired.
In order to support driver recruitment activities The Wee Agency designed and distributed driver recruitment leaflets to Birmingham and Edinburgh. The busiest car wash in Edinburgh was also secured to provide leads. Opportunities including festivals, nightlife and sporting events were identified by The Wee Agency as key targets when consumers would need taxis. The Wee Agency created Gett beermats that featured discount codes and distributed them to various bars and licensed establishments in Edinburgh. The Wee Agency secured partnerships with other businesses such as The Comedy Store Manchester and Lilly Nail & Beauty to offer discounts on Gett taxi rides to social media followers.
The Wee Agency created engaging social media content for a national online competition that encouraged consumers to share why they deserved a taxi using the hashtag #gettaxime.
The Wee Agency implemented an influencer marketing campaign combined with traditional and social media relations aimed at recruiting drivers and encouraging consumers to download the app. Activities can be summarised as follows:
· Media relations - £5 introductory promotion aimed at consumers, business story about Gett coming to town aimed at taxi drivers
· Blogger relations – to influence consumers
· Deals on voucher website itison – to incentivise consumers
· Partnering with businesses on social media to offer followers discount codes, including The Comedy Store Manchester and Lilly Nail & Beauty – to incentivise consumers
· Social media – competitions to win free taxi rides on social media – to incentivise consumers
· Billboards and flyers – to generate awareness amongst drivers and consumers
· Direct mail to drivers – to recruit drivers
· Promotional staff at Edinburgh’s busiest car wash – to recruit drivers
· Gett beermats – to generate awareness amongst consumers
· Speaker opportunities – to generate awareness amongst influencers and consumers
Over the three month launch campaign, The Wee Agency achieved coverage in over 50 publications with a reach of more than 5,934,600.
High profile speaking opportunities were secured as well as partnerships with local events in each city resulting in more than £12,000 worth of FTR codes distributed across the UK.
Over 1,800 potential cab drivers were targeted via The Wee Agency’s recruitment mailer drive.
The Glasgow and Edinburgh itison promotion resulted in over 1,561 voucher sales for first time rides.